Search This Blog

Sunday, August 11, 2013

You Are Who You Are

There will be times that someone will try to get in the way of what it is that you want to do with your life. Sometimes it's that asshole "friend," a professor, even family. They will tell you what you are doing is wrong and you're wasting time with what you are doing.

Here's my philosophy. We all have our opinions and it is the way we think that has shaped those opinions. You are extremely unique in your own way. That is what is so great about you. There is only one person who walks, talks and smells like you, and that is YOU.

Everyone is different, in the way they study, learn, put on clothes and think. Honestly, school is not for everyone. Personally, I do not like the curriculum and the way teachers test. What is the point of a standardized test? To test the average? Who is to say what average/normal is? The norm is constantly changing and that is what is so great about the world.

Some people do way better in school when in a smaller classroom vs state school classrooms. What I adore so much about St. Edwards is that the class size is so small that we all get to know each other and learn different methods of studying. Plus, the teachers were typically so interested in you, they expected or required a personal meeting with them once or twice a semester. They ask how school is going, how your studying is and how your general life is. I appreciate the care those professors gave.

University of Houston is much different. Many of the classes are huge, mostly the core curriculum. Of course, as you start getting into upper level classes, you get smaller classes. But in large state schools, such as UH, you become a number. Literally. In my government class one semester, we were listed by the last 4 digits of our ID number. I found it rather impersonal and a bit demeaning.

But of course, this only matters to you. If you like the personal attention a professor will give, then go to a smaller school. If you do not care for or want the personal attention, then a state school will work well for you.

If someone has or does tell you that the way you are living life is wrong, tell them not to worry about it, because it is not you. This whole "subtweeting" and posting a status directed to someone you are too chicken shit to say it to their face, they have the problem, not you. My own sister has tried to tear me down on several occasions. But no worries, it is my life and I will live it how I please. Concentrate on you. This is the point in your life where being selfish is totally acceptable. You need to work on better your life for now and the future, not for anyone but yourself.

There will come times where your parents won't like the major you are studying, but what they don't realize is that you are an adult and you make your decisions. If you fail, then that proves that you are totally human. "When real people fall down in life, they get right back up and keep on walking." My life motto from Sex and the City. It is completely true. Don't let a test or failing a class shoot you down. There could be a number of reasons as to why it happened. But you learn. Either it's that the course wasn't your cup of tea, if it's in your major, maybe it helped you realize that the major is just not for you. That is how I have gone through so many majors, not because I am unstable, but because I haven't found my niche.

I am having to take the year off from UH because of academic probation. Although my ego had a nice shot to it, it has helped me learn that what I was doing is school was not right. I needed to study a lot more and work a ton harder.

I say school is not for everyone, and I mean it, but we need some kind of education. Some people work best with universities, trade school, 2 year programs, the list goes on.

Find out what it is that YOU want to do and do it. Work hard at it and live life how you want, responsibly.

Have a good night y'all. Good luck getting ready for school.

No comments:

Post a Comment