Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Making Friends

So I over heard 2 lovely girls talking about their upcoming freshmen semester and they were so concerned about making friends. My nosiness took over and had to tell them about my blog and it dawned on me that I hadn't written an entire blog to making friends!

No matter what school you are going to, making friends will be easy as long as you let it be easy. Joining clubs, organizations, study groups, whatever it is, making friends will be super easy. For those of you that are social, you will not have a problem at all. If you're timid, this will require some extra work. Get out of your bubble. College is about learning and making new experiences last a lifetime. Luckily, I am not a shy person. I love meeting new people and having great conversations that will later make you want to continue learning about new topics or new views on topics you already talk about.

Not all of your friends from high school will keep up with you. College friends are the ones that last, well so far that I have met. Move in day is a great day to start meeting new people. I don't know what it is about moving in, but we are all scared, stressed, sad, happy; mixed emotions all around! There is typically a fiesta thrown by the school for everyone to get together and see old friends or meet new ones. I cannot stress enough that school functions are 100% necessary for you to attend. You learn more about the lovely school you are attending, meet new friends, people studying the same major as you, has the same hobbies, EVERYTHING. 

Get out there and go! Meet people! Network! Talk to professors! They love speaking to students. and hearing their insights on different subjects. Shit, we had dinner with our mentor at St. Edwards. My first conversation with my mentor was about swimming and I learned that he was an occasional swimmer as well. He found out that I was coaching and asked for lessons. From that, another student and I got to talking about sports, and we all know most athletes are social, so you meet more people that way. Anything can get your foot in the door to meeting new people.

Some people join Greek life to become more social. I do not entirely believe that it works. It takes personal effort to get yourself out there. Hopefully, you are not studying Public Relations and are antisocial to the max and joined a sorority to become social. You stepped into the wrong field regardless.

I would slightly compare becoming social to getting into shape. It won't happen over night and it takes effort. If you want to meet new people, you will. If it takes asking the hot guy in class for notes or to repeat what the professor just said or asking about a due date for homework, DO IT! The worst that can happen is that he says he doesn't speak English or that he wasn't paying attention either. And from that you can say "yeah,the professor isn't loud enough/slurs/ has broken English," or "I hate this class as much as you do." Haha, just bounce right off of what he/she says. You can typically tell if they are annoyed by you talking to them and that typically happens with the person who is just there to learn and hates people. Very rare.

Well. Now it is all up to you. Get out there and meet people, fun people!

Any comments or questions? Let me know!

Nighty night, my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment