Search This Blog

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Office Hours

Getting to know your professor is a good idea. Whether it is through email, or having coffee with him, or office hours. I have had a variety of teachers. There are the teachers that really don't have the time for office hours and email is the best way to get a hold of them. Some teachers want to be social and meet you at the coffee shop on campus instead. It's less formal, but it makes them more approachable. (Making up words.)  But the best way to talk to your professor is in office hours. I have had to make appointments before but usually just warn the professor that you are coming in so they know to be there.

If you are having trouble in a class, talk to the professor. They never want to see their student fail so they will help you (most teachers, some just suck.) Currently, I am not doing too good in one of my classes and I have emailed my professor to talk about it and he wants me to come in and see how I'm studying and we are going to crunch numbers and see what we can do. Teachers usually want to help, so let them. Last year my teacher for English had every student make an appointment with him to talk about our essay and see how we can improve it. Which is amazing. Of course this was at a small private school, you won't see that at a university.

Get to know your professor! More than just for help and good grades but also for recommendations or references. Not all professors are evil. They come in handy.

No comments:

Post a Comment