Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Your Packing List

This hit me last night when I was trying to go to sleep. The packing list. Plenty of stores have them, i.e. Bed, Bath and Beyond, Wal Mart, Target, etc. But which list really has what you need? I guess this all depends on your school and your dorm. Some dorms actually come with a Fridge and Microwave, very jealous of those schools. That is $200, more or less, crossed off your list. Some dorms have community bathrooms, some share with usually 4 residents, that means you have to buy cleaning supplies, toilet paper, a new shower head (what my suitemates and I did last year,) shower curtain, etc. The small differences really make a difference. Now I haven't heard of a school that doesn't provide the desk, chair, mattress and storage, but if there is one, have fun buying and moving all of that! The easiest way to know what your room comes with is on the school website. Look for current students and residential life, typically where you would find it all. Some schools have pictures and some have a virtual tour. Ask upper classmen on the school's Facebook page for advice on what to bring. If you like coffee, take a coffee maker, the prices are JACKED UP! Plus you won't stand in that long line. Let me just make a list for what if actually necessary:
Kitchen/Eating
  • Bag Clips
  • Utensils
  • Plastic Plates
Bedding
  • Sheets
  • Blanket
  • Pillows
  • Mattress Pad (Those mattresses are not top of the line.)
  • "Bed side buddy" (Clips onto your frame to put cell phone, remotes, etc in it)
Bathroom
  • Towels (Reuse them before you wash them)
  • Shower caddy (if you have community shower)
  • Towel rack
  • All of your necessities
  • Hair Supplies
  • Tooth paste and brush
  • Bath supplies (shampoo, conditioner, etc.)
Studying
  • Desk Lamp
  • Organizers
  • Comfy Chair (the ones provided are pure plastic, OW!)
  • Laptop accessories
  • Surge Protector
  • Book light (not a bad idea)
  • Flashdrives (a couple)
  • Message board for reminders
  • Sticky notes
  • iHome
Organize
  • Closet and drawer organizers
  • Hangers
  • 3M hooks
  • Laundry Basket
  • Iron/ Board
  • Luggage (for the travelers)
  • Baggage
  • First Aid Kit (used mine a couple times, not just for myself)
Cleaning Supplies
  • Vacuum/Broom (Depends on what you have)
  • Air Freshner
  • Duster
  • Mr. Clean, Scrubbing Bubbles, etc. (again, depends on what you have)
Random
  • Long Mirror
  • TV
  • Calendar
  • Floor Lamp
  • Decor
Don't have such a bland room. Whether you like to have pictures of friends and family up, or the sticky wall art, make your side of your room, YOU! Also on move in day, go grocery shopping for non-perishables. Granola bars, cereal, water bottles, fruit snacks, you get the idea. For those late nights and early mornings, they will help you keep awake. Don't get a lot of junk food, Freshmen 15 will sneak up on you in a snap. My favorite part of moving in was when my family left. It was the next step in me growing up. I shed a few tears, but it had to be done. I enjoyed living on my "own" for almost a year, and I say it like that because we don't pay bills, cook, and shop like we will when we become more independent.
Now I am back at home, traveling 60 miles round trip for school six days a week. I get to see my mom, pets and have my own room. Down side, gas. Luckily, grandma is helping me out on that note. Living on campus is more than you think, and hence why I am at home this year. Hopefully it keeps me focused. Living in a dorm isn't the easiest place to be focused.
Lastly, your first day is when you meet everyone. Your Residents Assisstant, roommate, suitemates, plenty of clubs you SHOULD join. Get involved, show your school pride and enjoy being a Fish one last time.
Peace and Love
Always and Forever
Marina your go-to-girl on college advice

No comments:

Post a Comment